WhatsApp announced this week that it’s now making it much easier to migrate data from an Android phone to an iPhone and vice versa. Regardless of what phone you’re switching to, you’ll now be able to transfer your account information, profile photo, individual chats, group chats, chat history, media and settings.
Some data can’t be migrated from an Android phone to an iPhone
However, you will not be able to transfer your call history or display name if you’re moving from an Android phone to an iPhone. The same goes for peer to peer payment messages, although personal messages can be transferred from an Android phone to an iPhone.It’s important to mention for iPhone users that transferred data won’t go to cloud storage after migration, at least not until you specifically create an iCloud backup.
As far as Android users go, the data transferred will remain on the Android phone unless WhatsApp is deleted or you completely wipe your phone. Here what the full process of migrating your data from Android to iPhone looks like:
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
- A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
- Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device.
- Tap Start when prompted, and allow the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you.
Make sure you meet the requirements
Finally, both devices must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Another option would be to connect the Android phone to an iPhone’s hotspot. Of course, you must use the same phone number as your phone on your new device to be able to transfer your data.
Every process that involves more than 10 steps would probably not be considered convenient, but the alternative would be to remain stuck with a phone and OS that you no longer love, or risk losing all your WhatsApp data. Despite requiring a little bit of knowledge before attempting to migration process, this is actually a very cool feature that will probably be fine tuned in the years to come.